Friday, September 9, 2011

I made this! Map art

I saw this idea on someone's Facebook who had posted it for someone else.  It was on Pinterest, which I cannot bring myself to join, lest I never leave my house.

Anyway, I took this idea and made it my own.  The idea was to create three maps showing where you and your husband met, got married, and honeymooned.  I didn't love that because where we met could be viewed as either Montrose (where I was living when we met via email) or Colorado Springs (where we met for the first time in person).  So I decided to make this idea my own and make three maps showing where Andy grew up (or started life), where I grew up, and where we now live.  We already own a collection of maps, so the only thing I had to buy was the frames.  THANK YOU IKEA for moving here!! (I am a HUGE fan of Ikea frames!)


After purchasing the frames and selecting the maps, I cut a piece of heavy cardboard the size of the frame opening.  I then cut the maps (just a little bit bigger to be safe) and ironed (with NO steam) the cut pieces- maps are wrinkly!  I put in very small letters Andy's initials on his map mat (say that three times fast!), mine on my map mat and LOVE on the map mat where we live now.  Then I framed, hung and loved!  Once we paint the walls, this will look even better than it does now!





This is an easy project that anyone can do!  I am excited to create something like this for our kiddos.  I've asked my sister in law who is in Africa now to look for an African map for us and I've got a huge Ikea frame for that one to put in their room!