Today was one of the best days ever! I posted on my Facebook today, "two little people called me 'Mama' for the first time today. My heart is so full it could burst!" Being with the kids is like....natural, right, and comfortable. They are so beautiful and it's so fun to see their personalities come out. Malco is for sure a helper and a big brother. He explores and figures out everything. He is friendly and funny. Tonight we played this sorting game, (where incidentally, he intentionally practiced colors, sizes, and counting) and as the game wound down, I started throwing one game piece at a time on the ground and he would fetch it and laugh! Eloise even laughed a little. He is perfectly content to do whatever I am doing (actually they both are!). If its sitting at the picnic table with a ballon, fine, if it's watching the Lorax, fine. He's happy. I had to give them baths tonight and Winner cried the whole time, meanwhile Malco got completely undressed and stood there-naked- waiting for his turn in the ice cold shower. He is very curious about everything. He looks around the room and is always checking something out. I have all the suitcases on the veranda and every time i go out there, you can be sure he follows and looks around at whats available. A funny story- Winner is coughing like crazy and you know she's just 2, so I tried to teach her 'chicken wing', you know cough into your elbow. Well she wanted nothing to do with that. But Big Brother caught on and the next time she coughed, he demonstrated it for her. He pays attention to everything!
I've had to tell them both "no" a few times and it hasn't resulted in any kind of meltdown. They just look at me and say "ok".
They are both calling me Mama or Ma. Malco more than Winner because she has been super quiet. She is just kind of shell shocked. And besides that, she is actually sick with a cold. She does have a fever which concerns me, but I will give it until tomorrow. p.s. Try giving medicine to a child who does not like said medicine. It will be on the floor of St. Annes!
Winner loves carrying things around. I gave her a sucker, which she did not partake in, but simply carried around until it got so dirty I had to throw it away. I want to get her a purse. But she found her backpack (reserved for travel day) and she put that right on her back. She didn't open it, except to throw in a dirty spoon, but she was for sure interested and knew it was probably hers. I made he leave it in Betsy's room and she was fine with that.
They loved talking to you on the phone! Malco was so sweet and then trying to get Winner to talk to "Papa". Later he was playing with his camera and he came across a photo of you and with a big smile and a 'Mama' he looked up and said "Papa" and pointed to your picture. They are ready to be with you!
I put on the Lorax for a while and they liked it. It warmed Winner up, she was laughing and playing peek-a-boo under the blankets. when it came time to transition (it was abrupt) she did fine with the logistics, but it just shut her back down.She is staying close to me, but not being cuddly at all. Just wants to be near me and have me hold her, carry her, etc. This is a fine first step. As long as it's me and not someone else.
Now the little ones are sleeping beside me. Winner with a loud child snore and Malco with heavy breath. I read them two books and then Malco started singing a song- must be something they sing at the orphanage at night. I will try to find out tomorrow when I go. Anyway, you were right 2 years of hard work, lots of money and stress all paid off in a way that is a million times better than I would have imagined!
Pray for tomorrow, I am going to work with Ishmael for a while to translate some stuff for the kids about 'the big change'. Try to verbally prepare them for whats coming. I found out they have family groups at the orphanage, so in my time there I want to meet the mom and get some pics, stories and logistics for the kids. Pray for sweet WINNER. She is sick and since I haven't been a mom, or a mom in Africa, I am not sure what to do. We went to the drug store and got some stuff, but one of the meds, she won't touch. Tried force feeding it- disaster (see above reference to medicine on the floor of St. Annes),
I love you honey and I can't wait until we have our family day next week!! I'll send you a pic tomorrow.
2 comments:
This warms my heart! Praying for you both and those sweet kiddows!
Love this!!! - Charity
Post a Comment