When I was a kid, my step mom used to leave a huge note for us every Saturday of our 'chores'. The list was essentially everything she either didn't want to do or couldn't get done in a week. It was drudgery. There was no life or fun in the chores and it was Saturday. And we were kids who were supposed to be visiting our dad. Instead of getting up and watching cartoons or enjoying the day with our dad, we woke up to a long list of chores that we didn't want to do. I hated that. It made work seem like hell.
Work is nothing like that for my kids. First of all, work should be FUN. Second of all, work should be a chance for us to spend time together. Thirdly, work is a chance for us to impart and teach skills to our kids. And finally, work is a way for me to keep my sanity with two small kids in my house.
For whatever reason, our kids came to us knowing how to do certain kinds of work and enjoying it. One of the first days they were home I was doing dishes and one of them came right up and started drying the dishes. From the first day I showed Vaughn how to make his bed, he has gotten up every. single. morning and made his bed on his own. One day I even found him with the bed pulled away from the wall so he could do it properly. Eloise gets right on top of the kitchen table so she can wipe it down properly. We're not talking about "here, you pretend to do this work while I actually do the work". We're talking about they actually do it! And when they can't, we help. The vacuum is a little bit too heavy for Vaughn to use, but whatever he can do in the living room is good enough. We're raising kids here, my house will never be totally clean again. I like that he gets value from doing something more than I care about having the rug perfectly vacuumed. And it sure is nice that things stay cleaner around here with two willing helpers!
I love working with my kids and teaching them new skills. We do laundry together, we do the dishes together, essentially, there isn't much I do around the house that involves working that I don't include them in. And let me tell you, they sure look cute working. Do you think kids should work around the house?


3 comments:
Celina, You and Andy are amazing! You are such naturals at this! You make me wish I had you as a mentor when we were raising our daughter. No lie!
Yes, ma'am kids should work! Nice job teaching yours to work with you. Like your kids, our kids also came to us with serious life skills. I love it. And on top of some life skills that most kids their age in American can't or don't do, they are SUPER RESOURCEFUL (because they had to be) and enjoy figuring out how to make something or fix something that they want but don't have. My girls cook meals regularly now and help with most all of the chores. So, do my 3 & 4 year old boys. Of course, it is more work to manage the little ones, but totally worth the training. There are definitely unique challenges in raising kids from where ours come from, but there are some really cool, unique blessings (well, tons of them, really!), too. Keep up the great work!
I love seeing you all together. The kids look great.
Post a Comment