I am the Judge and Jury on all things, aren't I?
Remember when I talked about introducing my
I'm sure you remember reading me as I sat in judgement of those gone before me. Well, I am here to say that I am an asshole for judging. There. That should cover the contents of this blog, my thoughts and all my conversations heretofore and henceforth.
See, having loved Wilson (one of my BFF's calls my love for animals "fickle"...I don't understand why except maybe because I passed on my cat to her? I felt it was a gift for having tolerated me as a roommate for several years) I could not imagine him being a problem who would require such drastic action as a deployment from our home. Sure, I knew Wilson had some behavior issues, but don't we all? (see above for a small sampling of mine). Nothing I couldn't manage. But then I had 2, then 3 kids and suddenly Wilson's seemingly small behavior issues and needs to meet became the total bane of my existence. I discovered, in the span of a few months why growing families get rid of dogs.
The reason growing families get rid of dogs is this, "If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy".
Now that I understand what happens, I can offer a proper apology for judging you dog-dumpers. I am sorry for judging you. I, too, would like to dump my dog.
Here's what happens: Mama spends all day taking care of the needs of others. She feeds, wakes, loves, holds, comforts, disciplines, drives to school, picks up from school, feeds again, cooks dinner for 5, put to bed, washes dishes and laundry all day and other menial, mundane, but must-do tasks. And the family dog is the straw that breaks the camels back. She just.can't.do.anymore.
When mama finally gets to have a good nights rest and none of the kids wake her up, but the dog does- well, then the dog must go.
When mama finally gets to sit down because the kids are at school and the baby is happily engaged and then the dog has to go outside or he'll ruin your carpet- well then, the dog must go.
When mama finally gets the baby to sleep, but the damn dog wakes him up because the mailman arrives? The.dog.must.go.
When mama finally has the house cleaned up, but the stupid, freaking dog pukes on the floor? THE DOG MUST GO.
When mama finally gets some food cooking and the dog eats it off the counter? THE DAMN STUPID DOG MUST GO.
Mama can only take so much. And me- being of the selfish mama variety, I can really only take so much. The dog is just one more thing for me. One more need to be met. One more thing to clean up after. One more cost. One more burden to bear. One more......
Ok, so we're not getting rid of Wilson even though, even though, today
Eloise loves this dog. Vaughn tolerates him, but enjoys having a playmate and being a caring person, he appreciates that others love Wilson and wants to see him treated fairly. Avett. Avett loves Wilson. Andy loves Wilson. Everyone. Everybody loves Wilson. I have said that from the beginning. Wilson is cute, loving, fun and cuddly. Everyone loves the dog and even though I am selfish (and judgmental, but that doesn't apply here) I'm not selfish enough to hurt my whole family just to not be miserable. I'm glad they love him. I'm glad Eloise always (every single time) says, "Moooommmmm! Don't say Wilson is stupid!" I'm glad Andy still loves to cuddle Wilson like we used to. I'm glad that Vaughn like wrestling with him. I'm glad that one of Avett's first words was "dog" and that he loves to let Wilson lick his hand. I'm glad. And I'm not happy about the damn dog and how he's ruining my life, but I have a whole family and I realize that from now to eternity I have to consider that. Not to mention the burden of guilt I will bear if we did get rid of him. I won't have him be gone the way of Blue. And no, I won't tell you about what my brother and I did for Blue - but we didn't kill him.
Here's the final message: I never understood why people would get rid of their dogs when they had kids (so I judged them). But now I understand why (and I know I suck for judging).
On an unrelated note: dog for sale.
Just kidding.
No comments:
Post a Comment