The Makers Diet
by Jordan S Rubin
Book 3
What [is this book about] This book is about eating a more natural and biblical diet as prescribed by "the Maker"
Why [did I chose to read it] Honestly, I promised myself from the first time I saw the cover of this book years ago that I would never read it. But I have several friends who have done this and I was interested in what it was all about.
When [did I start and finish it] January 12- January 18
Where [did I get it] I asked a friend who lives and eats this way to borrow the book and she said she references it quite often, but she asked someone else who had an extra copy and she gave it to me.
Who [should read this book] I guess anyone who has unexplained health issues. Anyone who feels like crap all the time. Anyone who eats like crap all the time. Anyone who wants to return to a more natural lifestyle.
How [will my life change as a result] Well, I do love bacon and pepperoni, but I really don't know if I will ever eat pork or shellfish again. I see that there is a pretty good reason why that was outlawed in the old testament. I am going to try this diet. But it is super intense and really requires concentration and commitment for the 40 day challenge. My reason for trying this diet would be to hopefully get rid of (or lessen the frequency of) migraines. I wonder how many migraines are a result of my crappy eating. I've been wanting to get off of (migraine) drugs this year and I don't think it would be fair to try that without making some other significant changes and THEN trying that.
[Final word] I read some reviews on this book and while lots of people said it changed their life forever, lots of other people checked into Jordan's credentials and they are basically a crock. He does hock his "wares" throughout the whole book and I think if you can ignore that (and certainly don't buy any of it- some of it has been "discontinued"), his general eating plan is probably right on. He contradicts himself a little bit like saying "don't drink coffee" then recommending only organic coffee. But whatever, I contradict myself, too. Anyway, I will give it a try and if it changes my life, I'll be sure to let you know :)
Happy Reading!
Happy Reading!
*My goal in 2011 is to read 50 books. Pretty ambitions, I know. But I love to read and I am excited to take on the challenge. Probably the biggest reason it is a challenge is because I plan to read intentionally. What does that mean?
Well for me, reading more intentionally means three things:
1. less fiction. I can read a good fiction book in a couple of days!
2. more non-fiction and books I can learn from.
3. keeping this blog as my digital diary.
So here we go! Let's see how many I can do and what I can learn and share with you!
P.S. Would LOVE any suggestions you have for books to read this year!
3 comments:
Since you are looking for non-fiction, I would recommend Truth and Transformation my Vishal Mangalwadi. Looking forward to seeing what else you are reading!
You know I'm a big proponent of The Maker's Diet so I thought I'd let you know that I agree with your assessment.*
______________________
* Pork and shellfish are nasty (in concept, not in taste).
* The way he plugs his products throughout ad nauseam is annoying at best. It's almost annoying enough for me to question his motives, but I've concluded that his initial motivations for writing the book (and the pure dietary information presented) were legitimate and helpful enough that if you can discern what to throw out, what remains is certainly worth it. It's a shame that he let his greed for money overshadow his telling of a miraculous personal healing story.
* I am also miffed a bit by a few contradictions between what he said and what he then recommended in his eating plans.
Post a Comment