bittersweet
Book two
What [is this book about] This book is a collection of personal stories from Shauna -mostly it is her recent journey. Pain, loss, joy, friendships and finding God in the midst of it all.
From the back cover: "Bittersweet is the idea that in all things there is both something broken and something beautiful, that there is a sliver of lightness even on the darkest nights, a shadow of hope in every heartbreak, and that rejoicing is no less rich when it contains a splinter of sadness."
Why [did I chose to read it] The back cover sold me. "When life is sweet, say thank you and celebrate, when life is bitter say thank you and grow."
When [did I start and finish it] Started on January 9, finished on January 12. To give you an idea of how hard the last book was for me, I read 72 pages of this book in one night (as opposed to the 10 days it took me to finish a whole 72 page book!)
Where [did I get it] My good friend Kristin and I have shared many books and since we always only share the best ones with each other, I assumed this would be another home run. We made an agreement long ago to only share good reads; we haven't been disappointed! After asking if I had read it, she brought this to me on a recent trip to Colorado.
Who [should read this book] My friends Kristine, Heather, Fietka, Charity, Kathleen, Rebekah, and Valeen. My mom, my sister in law Betsy, and my sister in law Katie. My husband, your husband and anyone who wants to understand a woman's heart better. Anyone who feels like they are in a season of pain that will never end. Anyone who has ever been through a season of pain that they felt like would never end. Anyone stuck. And anyone who loves real-life, deep, intimate stories.
How [will my life change as a result] I hope it changes in a hundred ways. But the ways that come to mind are this: I will define my "home team." I will write the list of things I "don't do." I will entertain even when my kitchen isn't clean. I will relax about the little things. I will fight less against the seasons and say "thank you" more when life is bitter. I will spend time with people and build into community even when there isn't a deep, immediate connection. On the heels of that- I won't waste energy on things I haven't been called to. I will let people in a little bit deeper so that when it is time for me to cry, there is someone I can call, someone who knows my heart. Someone that will love me no matter what I say in those moments. I will rejoice with others even when I am grieving. And mostly, I will tell my story.
[Last word] If this book were a CD, I would burn 100 copies and give one to everyone I know!
This is an incredible book and I hope you read it! Honestly, I felt like I was spending time with a friend through the entire 252 pages. The chapters are short and they read like blog or journal entries. I love that style of writing- makes you feel like you are right there with the writer. Or like you are reading something you have felt before and only wish you could have/would have articulated. As a side note, Shauna came to speak at Compassion's chapel. I wasn't there that day, but I wish I had been!
*My goal in 2011 is to read 50 books. Pretty ambitions, I know. But I love to read and I am excited to take on the challenge. Probably the biggest reason it is a challenge is because I plan to read intentionally. What does that mean?
Well for me, reading more intentionally means three things:
1. less fiction. I can read a good fiction book in a couple of days!
2. more non-fiction and books I can learn from.
3. keeping this blog as my digital diary.
So here we go! Let's see how many I can do and what I can learn and share with you!
P.S. Would LOVE any suggestions you have for books to read this year!
1 comment:
Sure I'll be your book report groupie ...
Would this be a good one for my mom right now or no?
Post a Comment