The Spirit of Adoption
by Randy and Kelsey Bohlender
What [is this book about] I think the title says it all...one families passion for leading the revolution of adoption in the church. The Bohlender's run the Zoe Foundation, which as far as I can tell, is an adoption agency that is working to make adoptions possible and affordable for Christian families willing to adopt.
Why [did I chose to read it] If you are just tuning in, we are adopting! Two babies from the Democratic Republic of Congo.
When [did I start and finish it] Today and today
Where [did I get it] Becky Jackman, also known as my birthday sister, sent it to me. She serves on the board of the Zoe Foundation and has a passion for adoption.
Who [should read this book] If you consider yourself "pro-life" you need to read this book. If you are a Christian and love Jesus, you need to read this book. If you are considering adoption, you need to read this book. If you have ever thought that homosexual couples who adopt were at least giving children a chance they wouldn't otherwise have, you need to read this book.
How [will my life change as a result] A huge point this book makes is that the church has been touting the "Don't" sign regarding abortions for years, but would the church be ready to receive the 4500 unwanted children who are aborted each day? What are we going to do if Roe v. Wade is overturned? Are we prepared to parent the unwanted children or will they grow up in foster care? If we don't rise up, then who will? We are CALLED to this! It's all over the bible! If we can't personally adopt, then what can we do to serve the orphans and the widows?
[Final word] This book talks more about domestic adoption as that has been the Bohlender's personal experience. It is not a perfect work of literature by any means, but the message is so clear. To be pro-life is to be pro-child.
I want every church to be proclaiming this message! I LOVE IHOP for this. They really hear what the Spirit is saying to the church- and do something about it!
I love the story shared at the end of this book of William Booth, who walked by a homeless man just feet from his own doorway and had to ask himself, "Is this OK with me?"[that this man has nothing and I am getting ready to go inside my warm house and eat a warm dinner, while he has nothing] He decided it wasn't OK with him and the decision changed his life as he went on to found The Salvation Army.
We are poised to either receive or reject the world's orphans....
*My goal in 2011 is to read 50 books. Pretty ambitions, I know. But I love to read and I am excited to take on the challenge. Probably the biggest reason it is a challenge is because I plan to read intentionally. What does that mean?
Well for me, reading more intentionally means three things:
1. less fiction. I can read a good fiction book in a couple of days!
2. more non-fiction and books I can learn from.
3. keeping this blog as my digital diary.
So here we go! Let's see how many I can do and what I can learn and share with you!
P.S. Would LOVE any suggestions you have for books to read this year!

No comments:
Post a Comment