Saturday, February 12, 2011

2011 Book Reports: Book Six: 50 Books in 2011

Spoken From the Heart
by Laura Bush




What [is this book about] This is an autobiography of Laura Bush's life.  She writes her entire life story from childhood all the way through her eight years in the White House.

Why [did I chose to read it] As you know this book project is focusing on books I can learn something from as well as non-fiction.

When [did I start and finish it] January 27-February 12.  This book almost set me back on my "50 in 2011" journey because it was so long!!  I however, will not be deterred!

Where [did I get it] My mother in law was reading this book on a recent trip to Colorado and she asked if I would like to read it.  I said "yes" so she left it with me.

Who [should read this book] I think Texans should read this book.  Anyone interested in life in the White House.  Anyone who loved president Bush.  Anyone who loves the direct and personal story of people's lives.  Anyone who wants to learn (a little) more about politics.  

How [will my life change as a result] I realize, and have known for some time, that I don't know very much about "the world".  I don't know anything about politics, and I don't know enough of my countries rich history.  Although this book didn't teach me everything I need to know about those things, I do feel like it increased my hunger for knowledge about those things.  I kept asking Andy questions all through reading the book that would arise as I was reading.  I want to know more and this book gave me enough to "get my feet wet" but not too much to overwhelm me.  

[Final word] President, Vice President, First Lady, Miley Cyrus- we're all just humans.  No matter if you toted an "Impeach Bush" sticker on your car for eight years, or you voted for him twice, he's a human and he did the best he could with what he knew and he made mistakes.  But he has/had something that I believe every president should have- a love for this nation and a love for God.  He made his choices based on what he believed was best at the time.  And as Laura so eloquently put it, he didn't have hindsight- and no one does when they make a decision.  He worked to defend our country and he didn't shrink back from what he valued.  
Laura worked for many positive changes in our country.  I love her passion for literacy, the fight against malaria and AIDS and women's rights across the globe. Reading all of the places she went and people she met I felt like I understood more what the role of the President's wife is.  The First Lady has a job and that can take many forms depending on her interests and what is needed in the world during her service.  I appreciate her love for her husband and her willingness to speak with tact about the people who spoke out against her and her husband.  
I am glad I read this book and I plan to add a couple more political books to the roster this year! 

*My goal in 2011 is to read 50 books.  Pretty ambitions, I know. But I love to read and I am excited to take on the challenge.  Probably the biggest reason it is a challenge is because I plan to read intentionally.  What does that mean?
Well for me, reading more intentionally means three things:
1. less fiction.  I can read a good fiction book in a couple of days!
2. more non-fiction and books I can learn from. 
3. keeping this blog as my digital diary.
So here we go!  Let's see how many I can do and what I can learn and share with you!

P.S. Would LOVE any suggestions you have for books to read this year!

No comments: