Saturday, March 5, 2011

2011 Book Reports: Book Nine: 50 Books in 2011

In the Footsteps of Mr. Kurtz
Living on the brink of disaster in Mobutu's Congo
by Michela Wrong

                          



What [is this book about] The reign? dictatorship? presidency? of Joseph Desire Mobutu or as he referred to himself Mobutu Sese Seko Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Benga in Zaire (now known as Democratic Republic of Congo) from 1965-1997.

Why [did I chose to read it] Since we are adopting children from the Congo, I would like to know more about the history and culture there. 

When [did I start and finish it] February 15- March 3

Where [did I get it] Another Besty Baldwin reccomendation.  She got this for me for Christmas.  (As you may recall, she worked in the Congo with Tearfund.)

Who [should read this book] Anyone who is interested in understanding the way government might operate in places other than the USA, and missionaries and aid workers in the Congo. Also my children will probably read it when it is appropriate. 

How [will my life change as a result] My mind has certainly been expanded.  I am so appreciative of the democracy in which I live- as messed up as it is sometimes, nothing is perfect- and what we have in the USA is alot better than what some of the rest of the world has.

[Final word] I am so glad I read this book. Two reasons: 1. I can approach our trip to the Congo with a better understanding and a broader perspective.  2. I feel like I know a little bit about what our children's biological parents might have endured and that prepares me to be a better parent. 
*My goal in 2011 is to read 50 books.  Pretty ambitions, I know. But I love to read and I am excited to take on the challenge.  Probably the biggest reason it is a challenge is because I plan to read intentionally.  What does that mean?
Well for me, reading more intentionally means three things:
1. less fiction.  I can read a good fiction book in a couple of days!
2. more non-fiction and books I can learn from. 
3. keeping this blog as my digital diary.
So here we go!  Let's see how many I can do and what I can learn and share with you!

P.S. Would LOVE any suggestions you have for books to read this year!

No comments: