Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Homestudy #2 (no swearing this time)

Today two exciting things happened in the Baldwin Adoption Story

Exciting Thing Number 1: I got fingerprinted! Andy is doing his on Thursday and then the Colorado Bureau of Investigation will investigate us....I'd say wish us luck, but hopefully we don't need any. 

The poor lady at Maggie's Shipping Shop had to take this photo for me.  I don't know if she had ever used an iPhone before; this was the best of three blurry shots.

Exciting Thing Number 2: Homestudy appointment number 2 (of 3)!  This was an individual meeting for each Andy and I with Angie.  My appointment lasted two and a half hours.  Andy's lasted one :)

My appointment was really good but it's exhausting to share your whole life story with someone.  I had to try and remember details about when we moved where and what schools I went to in what grades.    That is not easy for me!  After she finished filling out a whole page with my school history, Angie said that most people's history takes up 1/3 of the page.  I moved a lot growing up!  Some of the school changes were a direct result of my own personal choices, but still- even Andy whose dad was in the military- didn't change schools as much as I did!

Going through my whole history, including details about my past drug and alcohol abuse was interesting.  When I talk about it, it is so far removed from who I am today, I don't even really think about it as a reality.  Yet I know that the facts of who I was ten plus years ago could have an impact on whether we get approved to adopt.  I talked about this with our social worker- she isn't worried because she sees that my life today is nothing like what it was in the past, but others will have to review this home study and even if she approves it- and it seems to me she will- USCIS or the Congo can say "nope!" or they can request more info.  Which I have to be OK with.  And I am.  I know God has lead us in this process and I have to trust He will continue to lead us.  I know in my heart that I am such a changed woman and I believe God knows that and He will make it known to those who need to know it.  Sharing my story made me so grateful for my mom and step-dad who had to make some hard choices in disciplining me.  It made me grateful for the Tabors and the community of Solid Rock who took me in and worked with me for years to see me through to freedom in Christ.  And it made me so grateful to God who saw me through the blood of Christ even when I willfully turned away.  Amen for redemption!!

Andy and I had dinner after his meeting and we kind of chuckled about how different our lives were and yet God brought us together for His purposes.  Amazing.

So next we have the actual home study appointment where Angie will come to our house.  That won't be for another couple of weeks and hopefully in the meantime, our house sells!  I know that may be a long shot, but we serve a God of long shots!  Please keep praying with us for our house to sell soon!

Praise: We will only owe $1500 in taxes!  Most of you are probably wondering why that's a praise just know that we could have owed so much more!  And- we got an email today from someone who has $500 for us towards our adoption.  WHAT?!!?  That is incredible!  I am just marveling at His goodness today.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Super exciting! Praying for the house to sell soon! Looking forward to meeting tomorrow!! :)