Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Book 14: Where You Once Belonged

Where You Once Belonged
Kent Haruf

On vacation last December, Andy and I read two of Kent Haruf's books.  Plainsong and Eventide.  We both loved them and cried our way through the last one.  Kent is a great storyteller.  His books are set in rural Colorado, which if you are like me, you love reading a book that is set in your town/city/state where you can picture better what things look and feel like.  

Anyway, Where You Once Belonged did not disappoint.  I know Andy wasn't as happy with this book as I was, but I guess I don't mind a sad story once in a while.  Life is sometimes a sad story.... I won't ruin the ending, don't worry.  This is a short and quick read that you won't want to put down.  I mean, it's not riveting or anything, but you want to know what happens.  

If you like a good story in a rural/country setting, with great character development, then I would suggest any of Kent's books.  

As a side note, I know Kristin did not appreciate Kent's books as much as we did.  She said they were "depressing" so take that for what you will :)

P.S. I went to a cabin in the woods on Friday and read four books.  I needed to catch up on my reading :)

No comments: