Crazy Love
Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
Francis Chan
First of all, I love Francis Chan. I have heard him speak on numerous occasions and I believe he is right on track. He sees clearly what is happening in the church today and instead of condemning it, he loves it, and in loving it, he speaks truth. His church gives away 55% of it's income- to the poor. So, he speaks the truth and demonstrates it.
I have had this book for about 8 months and just haven't read it. I knew I needed to read it during a time of peace and undivided attention and so, while alone in the woods, I read this. A message I needed to hear. A message that confirmed so much of what the Lord is saying and challenged me to grow in love for the One who LOVES. To sum it up, it is the resounding message of "simplify by following Him".
What does that mean for me? So many things. I think one of those things is going to be for me to get off Facebook. Sound crazy? I think it is and it hurts (sadly). But let me tell you this. First of all, that is MY conviction and I don't and won't put it on anyone else. My reasons for this are two-fold: One, I have spent way more time on Facebook in the last year than I have spent with God in the last two (three?) years. Two, how many of my genuine relationships have been sacrificed on the alter of, "oh I know what they are up to, I saw that on Facebook." This is not OK and not what I was made for. I was made to relate to people on a deep and intimate level, not keep up with what they are eating, how their kids third birthday party was, or where they went on vacation. I need to pursue people, not spy on them....again, this is a personal conviction and I am not saying you should do the same. I think another thing this means for me is in terms of giving. Let me be blunt: 10% is not enough. Chan says that most of the world lives on $2 a day. If we make (and the average american family does) $4000 per month, we automatically make 100 times more than the average person on this planet. What does that mean to us? Well, think about the rich young ruler who asked what he needed to enter the Kingdom and how he was told to sell all he had and give it to the poor. He went away....what would you do if thats what God told you to do today to obey? I don't know what I would do, but I know one way to find out is to start giving away more than I'm comfortable with.
In terms of the book overall, I feel at a loss to sum it up for you... The descriptions of a lukewarm Christian will startle you. The descriptions of those who are 'obsessed' will make you yearn to be wholly who God made you to be. Finally, I'll say this: our prosperity in America is probably our greatest barrier to truly following Him. Maybe breaking down that barrier leads to a radical lifestyle that doesn't make sense to the world or even to other Christians, but I think that is what I want. Because I was made for eternity, not for my bank account.
Let me share my favorite quote from the book.
This is from a 19th century pastor and it applies so much today, "I am concerned for the poor, but more for you. I know not what Christ will say to you in that great day....I fear there are many hearing me who may know well that they are not Christians because they do not love to give. To give largely and liberally, not grudgingly at all, requires a new heart; an old heart would rather part with its life-blood than its money. Oh my friends! Enjoy your money; make the most of it; give none away; enjoy it quickly for I can tell you, you will be beggars throughout all eternity."
If you are a Christian, I say you need to read this book.

No comments:
Post a Comment