Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Book 21: Heaven is for Real


Heaven is for Real 
by Todd Burpo

I knew I could read at least one book while visiting the Haddix's, too bad I still haven't finished my thrilling non-fiction read....

Regarding Heaven is for Real: I am very certain that there are many who would love to cast doubt on this story.  But I am not one of those.  You can read it for yourself and make your own claims; my take is this.  This little boy, Colton Burpo, died(?) and visited heaven.  He met Jesus. He came back and shared his experiences.  He and his family are forever changed.  If it's all a lie, well, ole Todd is probably in a sh*t ton of trouble and I don't want to be around when he's meeting Jesus.  If its all true, then it is a fantastic story of a little boys visit to heaven. 

Although I am in the "I believe this story" camp.  I did have a question.  If you don't want the book spoiled: don't read on.

1. Why didn't Todd (the dad) call the doctors, nurses and hospital to find out if in fact Colton died during the operation.  He just read the medical report and accepted it as fact?  Maybe he did and found out that Colton didn't actually die but somehow visited heaven without dying.  I don't know, but I kept waiting for the "confirmation" of that to happen....

My favorite thing by far was the image of Jesus.  It makes me excited to meet Him.  The whole book itself made me excited that something so much better lies beyond this place.  It made me want to live more for eternity and more for Him.  It made me excited to treasure little ones, and not just my own, because after all God really loves kids! 

Since I know you are still reading if you have already read the book, what did you think?  Do you believe it?  All of it or most of it?  



No comments: