Let's pretend I just told you we are adopting. Usually, I say something like this: "We're in the adoption process for two kids from the Congo."
You respond:
"Wow! Thats great! How old?"
I say:
"We've requested two children under five years old"
You say:
"Will they be siblings?"
I say:
"We hope so because it's cheaper to adopt siblings, but we are open to any two children under five."
You say:
"Boys or girls or both?"
I say:
"We really don't care. Andy would like a boy, but we truly are totally open."
You say:
"Wow. That is so cool! Why the Congo?"
I say:
"Well, Andy's sister was working there for a while with a relief organization and she reposted a blog that one of her friends had written about adoption from the Congo. The blog just really explained things well, answered a ton of questions about adoption and made it clear that there was such a need in that country for kids to be joined with families. We started to look around at other countries and options, but it got so confusing and overwhelming, so we came back to where our journey started and began to pursue adoption from the Congo."
You say:
"Do you have any kids of your own?"
I say:
"Not yet, but we are open to that as well."
You say any of the following:
"We have thought about adoption"
"We have some friends who adopted"
"That is great what you are doing"
I say:
"Oh you should do it! There is such a need for families to adopt kids"
"Cool, from what country?"
"Thanks! We are so excited!"
And we both go our separate ways.
The end!
No comments:
Post a Comment