Sunday, August 21, 2011

Book 26: The Connected Child

The Connected Child
by Karyn Purvis

As we get closer to bringing our children home, I will be reading more and more parenting and adoption books.  This is the first and I am guessing the best.  Honestly, I cannot tell you how much I needed to read this book.  I will read it again and again.  This is an incredible resource for all parents, but especially parents whose children are adopted or struggle with behavioral issues.

Every single adoptive or perspective adoptive parent we talk to mentions Dr. Purvis and this book.  I am so excited for how I feel this book has helped prepare me to be a better parent.  I will for sure send this book to both of our own parents as they prepare to be wonderful grandparents to our kids.

People don't often think about how different it is to parent adopted children than parenting your biological kids.  We will face challenges that biological parents will never face and we will have joys that biological parents will never celebrate.  I am excited.  I know we can parent these kids with excellence and I know this book helped us be more ready than we were yesterday.  

No comments: