Friday, November 4, 2011

Book 33: Last Child in the Woods

Last Child in the Woods
Saving our children from nature-deficit disorder
by Richard Louv

Wow.  I loved this book.  I had to rush to finish it because  A. It belongs to the library and I think it's already past due and B. Who wants to take a huge book on a trip that they are 85% done with?

Anyway- about the book....
Let me first say, this may be one of those books that enforces and ideal I already possess.  However, I still thing you should read it! I know that I am very old fashioned in some ways.  I love the old ways of doing things.  I appreciate technology and of course I love the computer, but I don't want it to be the only thing I see all day.  Ever seen Wall-E?  Sometimes I feel like we are headed in that direction more and more everyday.  And I hate it.  I don't think it's the way it is supposed to be. The reason I love this book is because it brings us back to the old days.  When kids played outside. And when parents weren't afraid for their kids to do that.  I know I could easily be the type of parent who shelters my kids.  And yes, it is my job to keep them safe, however, kids get hurt.  That's how it goes.  You play in a tree, you might fall and break your arm.  But you might not and being in that tree might be the safest place you have as a kid.  Did you know I broke my shoulder snowboarding (as an adult)?  It hurt.  It sucked and I was out of work for weeks.  But guess what- I still love snowboarding and my shoulder is OK. Getting hurt isn't the end of the world.  

Here's something I learned in this book: you know how everyone is afraid for their kids to get abducted by a stranger?  Rational fear, right?  Guess what- child abductions have NOT increased in number since the 70's.  I'm not saying 'let your kid do whatever they want and don't worry about anything.' I'm saying, we have become hyper-vigilant and because of that deprived our kids of nature.  Something they NEED to be kids and grow and learn.  We keep our kids inside because we are afraid they will get hurt or stolen by some unsavory stranger.  This is what the media has done: publicized these incidents so that we think they happen hundreds of times a day.  They don't.  Of course, when they do, it is awful.  Don't hear me saying it doesn't matter if your kid gets abducted, of course it does.  But it is not as likely as the media portrays it to be.

I remember a story Andy and his mom tell about when he was a kid, he would get up in the morning before anyone else and go outside to play by himself. One morning, he went out and came back in to tell his mom the place was flooded. Knowing Andy he played in the water for a while and finally realized there shouldn't be this much water in his driveway, although I am sure it was a great gift to him. That story used to terrify me.  He would go outside- alone??   After reading this book I understand that those times made Andy who he is.  Having that time to be outside just being a kid helped him be the wonderful and adventurous adult he is today.  

When I was a kid we lived out in the country and there was some kind of - I don't know- open water pit.  Maybe it was a well.  Anyway, we were playing around it and decided to build a bridge with a 2x4.  My dad must have seen from the window because he came running out of the house in his underwear to save us from imminent disaster or drowning.  We got in big trouble.  But the thing was- we were learning.  We were experimenting.  And maybe the bridge would have collapsed and we would have gotten wet, but I think we would have been OK.  

One of the thesis in this book is that ADD and ADHD can be helped by being outside. They have done a bunch of studies with kids and nature and found that the symptoms of these 'disorders' are lessened after time outside. The author calls our current state "nature-deficit disorder".    
Something else I loved about this book is this: you know how as a parent you say to your kid, "be careful" one of the stories tells of a mom who encouraged her child to spend time in nature and she would always say "pay attention" instead of "be careful".  Do you see the difference?  One promotes fear and the other encourages growth.  I know I could be a 'be careful' parent.  But I hope after reading this book, I will do many things differently. 

Richard Louv encourages us all- not just kids- to be outside in all kinds of weather.  It does the body and the mind good.  Read this book!  It is in my top ten of this year for sure.  And top two for parenting (I've only read one other on parenting, but you get the point :) As Dave Ramsey says, "throw a rock through your TV."  Get outside!

2 comments:

Chris said...

I remember very well one day you and Jonathan were out climbing the tree in the front yard of our city home. You decided to bring up a rope and wrapped your brother around the stomach to help him up.
I was aroused to come down to the street by a passing motorist who saw that you two had somehow hung him up in the tree.
Now that was fun...I am not sure I let you back in the house after that!

Anonymous said...

This is my first visit to your site. Today I have got a new site. I am really happy to be here. I am stay tuned here for your next blog... Register domain names