Thursday, November 3, 2011

Journey to the end of the earth


Ok, so it's not that dramatic....but packing my bags right now makes it feel like I may be going to the end of the earth. It's just Uganda.  I mean ITS JUST UGANDA!!! In about 36 hours I will be boarding a flight that after a few stops will eventually lead me to Uganda.  

This trip has nothing to do with our adoption*. I am going with Compassion International where I will visit a Leadership Development Student we sponsor, see the work of Compassion firsthand and connect with a former student I served who, through the program I manage, got his Masters Degree from Moody Theological Seminary.  It will be an action packed 7 days.

Richmond is the one to my right.  He came to the USA in 2008 and graduated in 2011.


This is Faith- our LDP Student





*To clarify-- while this trip is not directly related to our adoption, it does touch it. Literally and figuratively.  (And let's be honest everything in our lives right now has something to do with our adoption.) Check out the map.  See the neighboring country to the northwestish? Thats where our babies are. So, this is as close as I have ever been to them.  I'll probably cry.

I feel so many things about this trip right now:

  • Excitement (I mean I am going to AFRICA!)
  • Terror (I mean I am going to AFRICA!)
  • Amazement (To see the children who I have helped release from poverty! Wow!)
  • Joy (I can't wait to see Richmond (former student) and Faith (LDP we sponsor)! 
  • Sorrow (I really wish I could experience this with Andy.  I know I will come back changed and it makes me so sad that we can't experience it together.)
I know that even though I work with International students every day- I am not prepared for the culture shock that I will experience. I am not prepared to see poverty this close up.  I am not prepared to travel a million miles from home and see my 'neighbor' suffering. 
But I'm prepared to GO- and today, that is the most I can do.  

Would love your prayers!  I leave November 5 and return November 15.  I'll try to update from there- I mean you know I will be taking a bazillion photos...maybe I can post some.  You might have a better chance of seeing news on Facebook, so if you are not already my friend, go here and friend me: 


No comments: