Heart of the Matter
by Emily Griffin
This is one of those "candy" books that although it is almost 400 pages, I read it in two days. That being said, I really did enjoy this book. Any book--even if it is candy-- that makes me think is a good book.
Heart of the Matter is about two mothers whose lives come together through a tragic accident. The first person voice in the story, Tess, has a few close friends who she shares her life with. But they vary in degrees of friendship. Which is true for me too, I have close friends, very close friends, surface friends, and friends I wouldn't dare reveal anything personal to (are those actually friends...?) anyway, here is my favorite passage about one of her friends: "Cate reaches out and squeezes my hand, as I realize that I never resent her sympathy, and that I always candidly confess any vulnerability, shortcoming, or fear without ever wishing that I could take it back or revise my story later. As such, my self-image squares neatly with her image of me, no disparity between the two-which makes being in her company sheer comfort and luxury, especially when things are falling apart."
This book- and this passage in particular- made me examine my friendships and ask myself who is my "Cate"? It also reminded me of the value of good friends, forgiveness and walking in truth with people. Thank you Lord!

No comments:
Post a Comment