Saturday, December 17, 2011

I made this! Homemade Vanilla Extract

I don't want to give away any secrets, (like what your Christmas present might be) but a few months ago Andy and I decided that we were going to make our own vanilla extract.  I read on the recipe we used that the vanilla you buy in the store has corn syrup in it and that unless it says, "NO CORN SYRUP" it probably has it.  I used this recipe. It probably cost a little more than $100 to make, but we ended up with 14 bottles. I think I could do it cheaper next time- but in reality it still cost a little less than if you buy it by the bottle in the store. After you make it, you have to let the vanilla sit in your pantry for at least one month- six is preferred.  Each week you are supposed to give the bottles a little shake, so a common question in our house since September has been, "Did you shake the vanilla this week?" and if someone hadn't then someone else did :)

When we were ready to gift I made a different, but similar label for each bottle after they were done resting.  To try and recoup some of the cost, I put a "return bottle for refund" label on each one- we'll see what happens :).

The supplies we needed were:
Vodka (organic) ($25 per bottle)
Vanilla beans (4-5 per 4 oz of alcohol) ($20 for all the vanilla beans we needed)
Dark brown bottles ($35 for 24)
Labels (hand made with supplies on hand)

We bought everything on Amazon except the vodka.

Bottles

Vodka is expensive! I probably would try to get a good vodka a little cheaper next time



Vanilla in process....

It kind of destroyed our cutting board, but we probably need a new one of those anyway

Finished product- super cute, but terrible iPhone photo

Two final things:
1. This vanilla is amazing!  Seriously, so delicious and apparently as it continues to rest it just gets better and better - or - stronger and stronger.
2. I decided that I am going to make another batch for the craft fair at Compassion and use the money towards our adoption.  If you would like to purchase a bottle, let me know!

1 comment:

Paul & Kristin said...

I am really looking forward to using ours - thank you!!! As for Vodka, one option you may want to look at next time is Kirklands. It comes in a 1.75 L (more than 2x bigger than a normal bottle). Price is around $30. It is not organic but it does compare favorably (or some say it is) Grey Goose which is considered one of the best vodka's available...

Only available in Costco's that sell Liquor (like ours)