Saturday, December 17, 2011

Book 38: The Cross and the Switchblade

The Cross and the Switchblade
by David Wilkerson

Did you know that when I do my book reports I always scan google images until I find the image of the book that shows the same cover as the book I have just read?  I do.  This is an OLD copy and yet it looks like it is the 24th printing in 1977.  This book was first published in 1962 and yet it is still a relevant read.  As you probably know, David Wilkerson passed away this year after a long and fruitful life for the Kingdom.  His is the kind of life I want to live- changing lives with the true power of the Holy Spirit, not mans power. 

If you don't know the story, David Wilkerson was a third generation pastor*, who lived in Podunk, Pennsylvania.  David decides one night to sell his television if the fleece he places before the Lord happens.  It does and he sells his TV for $25.  He tells the Lord he will use his tv time for prayer and one night in prayer he sees Time magazines portrayal of some young boys gang murder trial.  The Lord tells him he needs to minister to the boys (who he sees are just lost, sad boys) and he heads to NY on the word of the Lord.  This begins his ministry to the gangs of NY. This book is the story of the beginnings of Teen Challenge. A great story of faith and the favor that God gives when we follow Him.     

*[Side note: his son, Gary Wilkerson actually pastors (fourth generation-if you are counting) the church we attended in Colorado Springs before we moved here to Castle Rock.]

No comments: