Friday, August 31, 2012

The Birthday Project

A couple of months ago I heard about The Birthday Project. Here is the mission of the Birthday Project: The mission of The Birthday Project is to create a shift in the way people from all walks of life think about and celebrate their birthday (and other milestones). The Birthday Project serves as a source of information and inspiration on the infinite ways to do this, including highlighting lesser-known charities, insight on party/event ideas, tips on charitable giving, testimonials from both those participating in this movement and recipients of random acts of kindness and much, much more. 

It all started when one woman decided to celebrate her 38th birthday by doing 38 random acts of kindness. She posted a blog about it and voila the Birthday Project was born. I decided that for my 35th birthday I would participate.

I have spent the last few weeks coming up with and writing down 35 random acts of kindness that I would do to celebrate my birthday. I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed this birthday! To give you some context I can tell you (and my mom will vouch for this- actually so will my husband) that most years I spend the two to three weeks before my birthday just thinking about and talking about ME and what I will be getting for my birthday. "I want this!" I would exclaim at t-minus 3 weeks. T-minus two weens brings a new want. The day before I suddenly want THIS! And then comes my birthday and I am sadly, thoroughly disappointed. Even if I got 5 things on my gigantic, impossible wish list, I am still left wanting.

Guess what. This year I spent the 3 weeks before my birthday thinking of fun ways to bless people, I told my husband that I was participating in this and told him he didn't have to get me anything. Today, I went around doing nice things for others and guess what- this was seriously one of the best birthdays I have had! I did receive a couple of gifts and because I didn't have a dump truck full of expectation or know exactly what I was getting I was surprised and satisfied. Imagine that one, Mom?!!?

I decided that since I had to work today I would start at the beginning of the week with my random acts of kindness. I won't give you my whole list, but I did things like bring baked goods to the fire department, leave encouraging notes in library books, buy the person's Starbucks who was in line behind me and sponsor another child with Compassion. Along the way I decided that random acts of kindness aren't just for special occasions or for the Birthday Project. I can bless the people in my path everyday. If I call myself a Christian, isn't that what I should be doing? Didn't Christ, as he walked his path, stop and meet the needs of the people around him? Is stopping for someone who is stranded on the side of the road a random act of kindness for a special day or is it a way of life? I don't know how my life will change from this birthday to the next, but I do know I got more satisfaction out of being a blessing than I ever have gotten out of getting more stuff. Don't get me wrong, I am blessed by the gifts given to me today! I love the gigantic canvas bag my mother in law got me and the cool vintage bottles from my sister in law. My husband met a deep need in my heart by getting me these cool conversation cards and my mom got me a lovely purple shirt that supports good work being done in the Congo. I am blessed by gifts! But I am more blessed to give!

Happy 35th Birthday to me and here's to many, many more!

1 comment:

MixMingleGlow said...

Love this Celina! You figured out the secret behind The Birthday Project; it is impossible to plan & celebrate a single day by giving and blessing others and not have it spill over into the other 364 of the year! ;)
Thank you for sharing such a lovely, honest account of your experience. There is nothing "random"about kindness. We are called to live intentionally.
Happy belated birthday and may this year be your best, most BLESSED year yet!
Warmly,
Robyn @ The Birthday Project.