Friday, January 25, 2013

Andy is Awesome: Volume 2

Honestly, I have always loved Andy. We have had our fair share of issues and problems, but through it all, I have always known he was the one for me. However, parenthood has made it so much more clear how perfect we are together and how amazing he is.

Even with two kids to focus on, Andy is still concerned for me. I've cried what feels like 50 times since we have brought these kids home and each time Andy takes the time to love on me and help me work through whatever it is that I am working through. Obviously, our kids are a priority and their well-being is just as important as mine, but Andy probably knows that their well-being hinges on mine, so he takes the time to care for me. Yesterday was a particularly rough day for me and we had to take the kids back to the doctor for some X-Rays. You know what Andy did? He said, I'm taking the kids and you are doing whatever you want for the next hour or two. Now, keep in mind that Eloise is not yet particularly fond of Andy, so him leaving with her, and without me, could have resulted in total meltdown and disaster. But you know what, he was more concerned about me than he was about what could happen to him. The two hours I had alone was amazingly glorious and the time he spent with the kids was good. I didn't know the grocery store could feel like a spa, but when you've been with two kids for days and you are completely exhausted from parenting, it does!

If Andy caring for me doesn't convince you, maybe this will: we've been tasked with collecting stool samples for the kids. This may not sound like a big deal, but our kids have....something going on in their guts, so their stool is...horrible. You know who's doing the collecting? One guess and I bet you've got it. Yup: Andy is collecting not one stool sample per child, but three. Doesn't that sound fun?

I think one of the bonds of parenting for us has been this: a common goal and maybe, just maybe, a common enemy. Don't worry, we don't see our kids as the enemy, but when push comes to shove, we know we're on the same team and sometimes that team has an opposing force (i.e a kid who won't sleep or a kid who is crying for the 25th time that day). We have laughed more in the last week than maybe we ever have. Probably because sometimes there just isn't anything else we can do. And we've said to one another multiple times, 'there isn't anyone else I would want to do this with'. You know how great that feels? It's amazing. And it makes the hardest moments that much better.

Andy, I love you and I am so glad we are in this together.