Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Pace of Family

Today we took a walk as a family for the first time. I know that probably doesn't sound super exciting, but this is the kind of thing that Andy and I used to talk about doing as a family before we had kids.

We would imagine walking downtown together and going to the library or watching a movie on the lawn that our town puts on or walking to Safeway. It was all very romantic. And, honestly, it was just like we imagined, except much, much slower....(I typed that slowly for effect, but I know you don't know that.) The truth is, I loved it*. As we were walking, Andy and Malco kind of got ahead and I said, "Hey, can you guys wait for us. I know we're walking slowly, but this is the pace of family." I don't know why I said it. I don't think I ever thought that phrase before, but today as we have had our first day home together, I saw it in action.

Everything. And I mean everything, takes twice as long. Now I really do feel bad for judging all my friends with kids when they are late for everything. I can only imagine that will be us in the near future. Just getting ready for the walk took 15 minutes. But really, I loved it. Putting on little shoes, making sure littles had gone to the bathroom, getting water for everyone, making sure we were all dressed appropriately, the whole thing. It made me feel like, "This is real. This thing you always dreamed of, it's real. And it may be slow, but it's life now and it's lovely."

Today, I had little ones helping me with laundry, cleaning tables and washing dishes. None of which were done exactly how I wanted, but all of which were done with cooperation and learning. Do you have any idea how fun it is to teach someone about laundry? Seriously! I'm sharing a life skill with my 2 year old child that some kids in high school don't even have. Nothing about our life moves quickly, but we're together and our kids are learning that we value time with them and we want to teach them skills even if it means it doesn't get done as fast as it could if they weren't around.

The pace of family is half speed, but it sure does fill you up!

*Disclaimer: I fully retain the right to change my mind/get impatient with the pace/yell when no one is doing things the way I want/get sick of dishes that aren't actually that clean and blog about it later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HA!!! Pace of family = so true! And I love the disclaimer. But, yes, it is glorious, too.