I really (REALLY, really, really!) love being a mom. It's tiring and hard but there are so many lovely moments and so many reasons to be joyful that it's hard to complain. I feel like it's a job I was literally created for. It's not that I think I am doing a superb job or something (although, I would give myself a strong B+), it's more just that it comes very naturally to me (probably because I have always loved bossing people around). :)
Anyway, the kid's school had a little Mother's Day Brunch and I got my first ever Mother's day card written by my kid. It was a lovely moment and I almost cried. Vaughn even wrote everything himself. It's so fun to see him improving in his writing! Eloise's class gave all the moms a plant and the card said, "If moms were flowers, I'd pick you".
Everything seems to take on new meaning when your kids are adopted. It's like sentiments are....deeper or they hold more truth or something. I don't know if this makes sense to you, it just seems more real when children who had another mom are happy to celebrate that YOU are their mom now. Or something else I can't explain. And I know they don't get it yet and I know someday Mother's day might be total hell for them, but I am really OK with that (not that I want it to be hell, just that if that is a day they struggle with, I'll get down on the ground and struggle right alongside them) and we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. For now, I am so glad to be a mom and to be a mom to these two loves and another one (who kicks and bounces each night before I fall asleep to remind me he's here, too!) on the way.
I'm so blessed and today I celebrate all that God has given me and that He saw fit to allow me to be a Mama.
For all of you who long to be Mama's: I'm sorry. I know how painful this holiday can be.
For all of you who are Mamas: Happy Mother's Day! It's a high calling and you are doing a good job even on days you think you aren't! It's the big picture- including the broken pieces -that make a mosaic beautiful. (did I just make that up? if so, pat on the back, thats a lovely sentiment!)
For all of you adoptive Mamas: Happy Mother's Day to women who will always be the second (or third or fourth) mom your kids have had. Celebrate the moms before you who gave up (or lost a fight) to let YOU be the mom to your amazing kid.
For those of you who lost your Mama: I have no words for you. This is the event I dread most in my life. I can't imagine life without my mother. She's the one I call when there is no one else, when I have nothing else to do, when I just need to vent, when I need a good laugh or when I need to be reminded that someone in this world thinks I am awesome no matter what.
For my Momma: I wouldn't be the Mom (or person!) I am without your influence. You made mistakes which I know you see as defining, but they don't at all define how I view my life as your daughter. You are a fabulous, wonderful, amazing Mom and an even better grandma! I love you and if Moms were flowers, I'd pick you!

1 comment:
That was a tear jerker. Thank you for "picking me" I love that you can celebrate being a mom this year. I have prayed for this day for you for a very long time.
Post a Comment