Sunday, June 9, 2013

Grandpa & Neema

Grandpa and Neema (Andy's parents) came to visit last weekend and the kids had a blast. Can't you tell from Vaughn's cheesy smile?



First of all, Grandpa & Pop built a swing set for the kids, which they LOVE (it was a gift from Grandpa & Neema- this cool kit that you just add the wood and it becomes a swing set! I could have built it myself, but chose to do other things..). I wish you could hear the laughter when they are out there playing. It brings such joy to my heart to hear them enjoying themselves (and makes me so happy that they aren't bugging me for something like food or water). Sorry I don't have a photo of them playing out there. I took this while everyone was out of the house.

Please note the construction materials on the lower left corner. That is our in-process DECK! 

A few days before the grandparents arrived, I had been telling the kids about my dad who passed away 12 years ago. I explained as best I could that Jon (my stepfather) was their grandpa but they had a grandpa who they wouldn't ever meet. About the second day of the visit, Eloise and Vaughn were at the table with grandpa and out of the blue, Eloise, like she had caught me red-handed said, "I thought your dad was dead?" I rushed to the table to avoid poor Charlie thinking I had pronounced him dead to my children and explained that it was my father who had died. Although I don't know if it satisfied her at least my father-in-law knows I wasn't busy cursing him before he arrived. 

The kids hiked the rock one morning and Vaughn, Grandpa and Pop got to go all the way to the top. 
You can see here that there is a hike just to get to the rock (the big hill) and then to get to the top of the rock you have to climb a bit. 


Here's Pop and Vaughn at the top and Eloise, Neema and Wilson waiting below. 




Grandpa and Pop also took the kids on a little hike and got to feed some horses. I know this not from the pictures, but because the first thing Eloise said when she walked in the door is "We fed the horses!".



Neema and I took the kids to the Home Depot kids workshop and to the library for a big "Dig Into Reading Party". The big fun there was face painting (and the bet I lost), which the kids have never done. Let me tell you, Eloise would NEVER have done this 3 months ago! I told her how proud I was of her and that I was so happy she was becoming more secure. They both loved the results and couldn't wait to show Pop. I think they looked pretty cute!



That's about it for the visit with the grandparents. Tune in next time when I talk about my kids hair...I'll give you a hint. Poor Eloise still looks like one of those old black men you see on city busses with their hair all slicked back and Vaughn looks like a super cool soccer player. 

No comments: