I wanted to take the kids to meet my dad's family. My grandma is getting older and I wanted to be sure that the kids met her and she got to meet them and with the baby coming soon, I knew I wouldn't be going anywhere for a while, so we figured early summer was our best bet. In the planning, a baby shower was planned for BBB (Baby Boy Baldwin), a new niece was born we needed to meet (baby Nora) and we'd be flying into Philly to visit my parents on the alpaca farm then driving onto Rochester. So the trip was full even though it was 8 days (mistake #1). We decided that Andy wouldn't go (mistake #2) since his vacation time is limited and this was really for me more than anything.
By day 4, I was just sure only one of the children would be traveling home with me. By day 5, both of their lives were both in danger, and by day 7, you couldn't recognize me past deadness in my eyes, the clenched fists and the barred teeth. Vacation this was not.....
I texted Andy on the day before we left and begged to get a babysitter the day after we came home, just so I wouldn't maim the children once we were safe in our own house. Like the loving, amazing husband he is, he decided to take a 1/2 day and take the kids out while I recuperated at home. Alone. Without the kids. In the quiet.
Wary of saying "never" my text to him said (when I found out our plane home was delayed by 4 hours) "Seriously. I am NOT doing this again". And although that is still how I feel the morning after, I've learned two valuable things:
1. Single parents are truly the most amazing people on the planet. I am so weary from meeting every need, correcting every ill behavior, giving love, answering every question, providing direction, disciplining, feeding and ensuring the well being of two kids that I could sleep for a week. How people do this as a life is beyond me. If you are doing this alone I really pray that God will surround you with his grace and people who will give you relief!
2. I really do have the most amazing kids on the planet. Our flights both ways were delayed by multiple hours. On the way there, after the delay (which my kids patiently played through on the airport floor) a woman across the aisle from me on the plane said, " I just have to tell you, you have the most well behaved children. Big brother does such a good job or caring for his sister and they are just great." Her traveling companion proceeded to tell me she has been an educator for over 12 years so "she should know, she's seen it all". Not only did we have two plane rides, we traveled for 14 hours in the car (from NJ to Rochester and back) and for all the misery I felt at being 790 pounds and with child, riding in a Honda accord for 14 hours, my kids really did do amazing. Anyone will annoy
The truth is, I'm incredibly proud of my kids and I'm so happy they got to meet my family, have some new experiences and meet some precious friends. Will I take them on vacation again? Probably, but I will NOT call it "vacation" and if Andy doesn't go, I will hire a nanny!

No comments:
Post a Comment