Tuesday, July 9, 2013

"Is it too hot to leave my kids in the car?" and other significant questions on child-management

As I go about my day, I often find myself asking questions of deep significance regarding child management.



Today, I literally needed one thing in the grocery store and it would have taken me 6.7 seconds to run in, procure the item, pay for it and be back in the car, strapped in and ready to go home. Instead, I spent 5 minutes on the way to the store trying to decide if I would be prosecuted for leaving the kids in the car in the current temperature (note: my question to myself was NOT, "will my children be safe in the car while I run into the store for one item?" Is there something wrong with me? Let's dive into that a little later).

Anyway, I knew I couldn't leave the windows open, because then people would see the kids in the car. I knew I couldn't leave the car running because then people could steal my kids (and my CAR!). I finally deduced that since I wouldn't leave Wilson in the car on such a hot day (he is black after all...uhhhh....), I certainly couldn't leave the kids in there. Bummer. Buying 6 hamburger buns now took 18 minutes plus the 5 minutes of thinking time I wasted trying to see if it would be appropriate to leave the kids in the car.

Other important questions:
"Is my child too young to cook his own lunch? While I am out getting a pedicure"
"How long is too long to expect the kids to entertain themselves while I sleep on the couch after breakfast?"
"How long of a nap is too long for my children? 3 hours? 5 hours? From 10-4?"
"If a child is sleeping and the care-giving parent leaves the house, does the child have to know?"
"Can my 10 year old neighbor watch our kids while we go on vacation?"
"When the baby comes, will Vaughn be able to care for him while I go to the mall?"
"How much yelling at my kids is too much?"
"Can my kids tell if I am not paying attention to them while they chatter on relentlessly?"
"How many days without a bath is too many?"


As I work to resolve these important issues, please pray that my children stay safe and I stay out of court/jail.





1 comment:

Kate Sampson said...

Celina, you crack me up!!!!!