Thursday, July 18, 2013

Update: Vaughn

So, if I haven't mentioned it already, Vaughn is seriously an awesome kid.
He is helpful, funny, kind, eager to learn and he learns from his mistakes. We are so blessed to be his parents and it is an honor to guide and mentor him. Here is some proof of how awesome Vaughn is.

Helpful: For the first time in our marriage, Andy lost his wallet. Like, lost it, lost it. We've looked everywhere and while I believe it's somewhere in the house, it's gone into the abyss. Anyway, we tasked the whole family to find it and guess who jumped right in like he was getting paid to do it? Vaughn was looking under the fridge on all fours. He was tearing apart his room. He was helping move furniture. Everything we were doing and then some. He was going to help Pop find that wallet!

Funny: the other day Grandma and the kids found a dead mouse in the yard. It was a big deal for a few minutes and then the issue passed. However, at lunch, Eloise brought it up again. Vaugh said, "Eloise, please stop talking about that at the table. It's so gross. I feel like I am eating a dead mouse."



Kind: Yesterday he came up to me and whispered, "Mom, can I buy Pop a new wallet for his birthday? How much it cost?"

Eager to learn: You think when you have kids and stay home you are going to have all kinds of time to do fun things and teach your kids how to do stuff. It doesn't actually work that way (for me...). I had the best of intentions this summer to work on stuff with the kids, but time has slipped away. So my poor children are left to fend for themselves. Vaughn defies the odds; if he wants to know something, he figures it out. I had a great video of him riding his two-wheeler, but after spending an hour trying to get it to load, I finally gave up. Spoiler alert for the video: Vaughn taught himself to ride his bike in our driveway. Presumably one of the times when I threw the children out of the house and told them I didn't want to hear from them for at least 20 100 minutes.




Learns from his mistakes: Andy and I have a little pet peeve in parenting. We hate nosiness and Vaughn is the biggest offender. I understand that Vaughn has very good reasons for his hyper-vigilance. He's had to care for his sister and always be on the alert for what is happening and how it will affect him. So, there is grace for that. However, it's still super annoying. The other day, Vaughn saw Pop looking at Eloise's birthday gift on the computer. Pop told him to leave the room and he immediately did and went right to Eloise and told her what he saw. He had NO IDEA what he was doing. Truly, it was an innocent mistake and she didn't even register what he said to her. Regardless, we had a talk with him about 'minding your own business' and how Mom and Pop are taking care of him and he doesn't need to worry about everything. The very next day there was a brown paper bag with some interesting items in it by the door. He went up to the bag, started to look in it and suddenly said, "Oh. That's none of my business." And he walked away. What?! Are you kidding me? The kid is amazing!

Additionally, Vaughn is really good at soccer! As a parent I am enjoying the new experience of really caring about something that someone else cares about even though it doesn't impact me at all. (Yeah, I know, I am the most selfish person in the world). This week, Vaughn attended a soccer camp and he rocked it! Watching him learn new skills and play like noone else made me swell with pride. Here's a few photos of him. Check out the intensity on his face.


No comments: