Friday, August 9, 2013

Dumb-Ass Questions: Volume 1

I knew that we would probably get some stupid questions regarding our kids, adoption and life in Africa, but nothing could have prepared me for tonight's dumb-ass question.

We were out walking with the kids (well, I was waddling) and we ran into a new neighbor who we stopped to chat with. After finding out where exactly she lived and hearing a bit about her story, she started to ask about the kids. Her first question to the kids (I kid you not) was this: "Have you guys lived here your whole life? Well wait, you're too young to have lived here your whole life." (Oh, you think this is the dumb-ass question? It's not.) I actually think she was reflecting back on that Andy had just told her we have both lived here 10 years and she was maybe doing some math in her head and got overwhelmed. Which could easily happen to me as you have seen by some of my math posts, so I don't fault her for this particular idiotic question. Anyway, she then asked the kids names and how long they have been here and where they were from. Vaughn told her he was from the Congo and she said (dumb-ass question coming at you!) "Oh did you see a lot of diamonds while you lived there?" Yes! Didn't you see him in Blood Diamond? All people from the Congo are involved in diamond trafficking. Do you want any diamonds? Because he brought some here with him and if you want more, we can easily obtain some more through our contacts there. UGH. It reminds me of the time one of my Compassion students from Africa was asked by a fellow American student - in 100% seriousness- if she 'slept with lions'.

I don't want to be too harsh here. Poor neighbor was just drawing from her knowledge base and trying to make a connection, but I do sincerely hope that is the last time someone asks us something so incredibly idiotic. However, I do hope we continue to get dumb-ass questions so I can entertain you with the stupidity of people.

Until next time....

No comments: