Thursday, November 7, 2013

I used to be important [and other things that are sort of true]….

I Used to be Important
Once upon a time I used to have a job. A job people paid me to do. A job that was important. A job that really made an impact- literally around the world. I really used to be somebody important.

How the mighty have fallen low….
Now I am lucky if I get dressed in real clothes twice a week. When I do get dressed, I just pray to God that the baby doesn't spit up on me because I don't want to have to change since more than 1/2 my clothes still don't fit me.
I'm lucky if I have a conversation uninterrupted by children needing snacks more than once a week. I'm lucky if I sell something on Craigslist and bring in $20. I'm really lucky if i get any emails. I remember an inbox full of urgent matters needing my immediate attention. Now the only thing that needs my immediate attention is a dirty diaper. Sadly, I'm not really that important anymore. I can't say that I necessarily want my job back or that I even really want a job, but I admit that some days I really do miss being somebody important to people over the age of 7.

The Filibuster 

Sometimes I honestly think that Vaughn is trying to set a record for how long he can talk for. His capacity to talk is absolutely mind-blowing. I had a neighbor tell me that she sees us walking to school and that she can just see Vaughn talking the whole time we walk by her house. I know that when he is a teenager I will just die for him to say even two words to me. But for this season, the chatter is…exhausting, amusing, and constant. As I have mentioned his favorite conversation goes something like this, "Mom, I fall down and break my leg in the driveway. Whayyagonnado?" (Insert other plausible scenarios followed by the question of what I would do in said scenario). The questions always lead to 10-20 more questions about how/when/why I would do a certain thing. 
This just happened while I typed this blog:
Mom, this yogurt is so goodthis yogurt is actually my favoritedid you ever try this yogurt? me: no. Where did you get this yogurtMom, where did you get this? me: safeway. Oh I love this yogurtcan I have a peanutMom, I am actually a really good drawerif you give me something to draw I can just copy itMom, you really need to try the melon yogurtit is actually so goodwhat kind of yogurt have you tried why haven't you tried the melon? whayou laughing at? 

Ten Months of Bliss

Sometimes I am a little worried about what terrible thing(s) awaits us. The last 10 months have honestly been a dream come true. Yes- there have been super hard times, times we regretted ever wanting kids (let alone having three of them!), times we both lingered on the edge of sanity, times we wondered if it was too late to go back to life without kids, but on the whole- it has been amazing. It seems crazy that things are so damn good. But they are. I thank God everyday for how great our life is, how smooth the transition has been, how few issues our adopted kids have, how lovable they all are, but sometimes, I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop and praying it doesn't hit me in the head. 

Photo credit to http://good-photo.org

No comments: