Sunday, December 1, 2013

25 days of Christmas: Day 1- Paper Countdown Chain

One of the things we want to do with our kids is have fun traditions around holidays. Like most of you, my favorite holiday is Christmas so it is especially fun for us to be having our first Christmas together. I decided (today, ironically) that I would like to do one Christmas-y thing everyday in December. Thanks to my recent 'discovery' of Pinterest (i.e. I gave in and started wasting my life on spending some time on this miraculous site), I'm sure there will be no shortage of ideas. This one, however, I came up with all on my own. I know, it's amazing to come up with an idea so brilliant...paper countdown chain! Yes, I really made this up on my own.

Anyway, tonight we made the paper chain to countdown the days until Christmas. I had the kids pick out which Christmas papers they wanted to use, then they counted the days until Christmas and then they counted the papers I had cut to make sure there was 25 (see how I brilliantly incorporated math into this exercise? I really should home school). Of course the kids glued them all together and then Eloise got to tear off today's paper. A paper countdown chain is incredibly difficult to make, but with a long explanation and lots of demonstrating from me, the kids were able to figure it out. Really, though, I think the only way we can do something everyday is if we keep it simple. The kids have never had an American Christmas and while I want it to be fun, I don't want it to be overwhelming- for me or them!











A few minutes after this activity concluded, I found them in their room quietly making another chain. I asked what the countdown was for, but no one could really tell me.



 What are some of your holiday traditions?
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We try to do an activity too - we have a little scroll count down with activities on it...drive around and look at Christmas lights, sing Christmas carols, drink hot cocoa by the tree, read a Christmas book, camp out under the Christmas tree, etc. The girls love it!