Tuesday, December 17, 2013

25 Days of Christmas- Day 16 & 17

Day 16: Making gifts for friends at school.
While I feel strongly that Pinterest has made every mom either hate herself for not being good enough or think she's amazing for pulling off crap she saw on Pinterest, I still have recently fallen in love it. Rest assured- I will vacillate between hating myself and feeling immeasurably proud. [Speaking of pride, remind me to tell you how I told my children after a potluck where everyone raved about my eclairs how their mom would always make the best thing at any potluck....] Anyway, day 15 is my first Pinterest success story. I've told you before that I like to let my kids "do stuff" on their own to learn and this craft is no different. DIY Melted Crayons 

The kids had to break all the crayons, take the wrappers off and fill the baking cups with the broken pieces. I had to clean the mess and make damn sure we didn't spill hot crayon wax anywhere. I figured their task was good for fine motor skills and told them so. A while into it, one of my kids got a little tired of the forced fun and said, "My motor skills are too tired". This same child insisted early on in the activity that his motor skills were fully developed (and he emphasized fully!)  One of my children was waaayyy more into this craft than the other to the point that she jumped out of bed the next morning to come look at all the finished product. Anyway, it was a bit of a dangerous task to take on for someone who does not love messes, but they really did turn out good! 


Day 17: We started reading one of my favorite Christmas books tonight! I am not sure how much the kids will get it, but we will be attending the play on Christmas eve, so hopefully that will help solidify this hilarious story. Have you read this book? Super fun, super fast!

No comments: