Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Whole 30 Update

So, the Whole 30 is seriously the best thing I have ever done with food- hands down. It has been hard, but really not even 1/2 as hard as I thought it would be. Here's a few reasons why the Whole 30 is great:
  • The psychology is such that you really know going into it that there is no room for slips or cheats. So you marry yourself to the idea that the next 30 days is sacred ground and then it doesn't feel at all like a diet (because it isn't!). 
  • Food is good; in fact, it's delicious in it's natural state (well, except for that turkey sausage I had for breakfast- that was horrible, awful dog food.) 
  • It is so eye opening to be a label reader. I've read labels before but never really realized how terrible most stuff is. There is dextrose (corn or potato!) in e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g!
  • The cravings really do go away (and they come back on occasion, but not like before)
  • Three meals a day really is enough food-minimal snacks needed!
  • Wow! Let's hear it for veggies filling you up!
  • There are some AMAZING meals you can cook up on the Whole 30.
  • Chipotle!!
As for me:
  • I actually miss dairy more than I do grains! Cheese, cream in my coffee, butter (Ghee has a really distinct taste that I do not enjoy.)
  • Since the first couple of days when I had a banger of a headache- I have NOT had one headache! For one, I get regular migraines. For two, I almost always have a dull headache and take tons of meds, just so my dull headache won't turn into a full blown catastrophe! I haven't taken anything since the first days.
  • It is costly to eat right! Processed food is incredibly cheap. We even shop at Costco for most of our veggies and some meats, but wow! We've spent almost double this month. 
  • I have lost weight and so has everyone in my family. We keep looking at each other and saying, "you have lost weight." since none of us believe it for ourselves, but can see it in each other.
  • Everyone in my family says it, "I feel great!". 
  • There are days when it sucks. I would love a doughnut or a latte from Starbucks, but at the expense of feeling great- I don't think so.
  • Since you may want to see the results for yourself, I promise to post my before and after pics for you.
What's next:

I think we've agreed that we will be a mostly Paleo family. We will not be religious, but gone are the days of bread with dinner and dessert every night. My mom will go back to her beloved morning latte and when we go out for a nice dinner, we won't hesitate to have a bite of dessert. But it will be the exception, not the rule. We've agreed there will be no sweets in the house and processed food is thing of the past for us. We'll need to figure out how to afford it, but it's worth it. I have weight to lose and I don't want to lose the momentum.

What about you? Could a Whole 30 help you feel better or lose weight? Are you inspired? Maybe you will be when we post our pictures and weight loss!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is so encouraging to read! I'm glad you guys have enjoyed the results of the changes you've made. :) Yay for feeling better and making great choices!