Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Crazy Math: the finances involved in adoption

I found this on a fellow adopters blog and I had to repost it.
It is especially timely considering my last post.


If you are thinking about adoption and don't know if you can afford it, let me just say frankly: if it is in your heart, then you can afford it.  Let me go one step further and say, if it is in your heart, then you can't afford not to do it!


The bible is so clear (meaning it says so directly) that we have a job to do in caring for the widows and orphans*.  From my own personal experience I would say, especially if you feel like you are drawn or called to adopt, then you HAVE to do it!  The bible already says so, so what is in your heart is just confirmation of His word.  Do you understand what I am saying?  You don't need special gifts, talents, or as the post below shows, financial resources.  God owns it all and He'll provide for you as you need it.  I have a friend at work, a single girl in her early twenties who has had it in her heart for years to adopt and guess what, she isn't being limited by her singleness.  She is jumping in and trusting that God has lead and directed her to this point.  And it's not a "I just really want a baby" kind of thing, it's a real deal "I'm adopting because I love God and His commandments" kind of thing.  I love it!! You can check out her blog here.   


Check out the post below on God's crazy adoption math and if you are on the fence- jump off and into God's perfect will!


http://thefamilyb.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/crazy-math/


*Because I don't want to take anything out of context, I am posting a passage from the book of James.  Everyone refers to James 1:27, but as I read, I found it interesting that the contrast to the true religion of caring for widows and orphans is not keeping a tight rein on your tongue.  Something for me to think about.....


James 1:19-27 19 My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20 because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. 21 Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.
 22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
 26 Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. 27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Such a great post! Thanks for the sweet shout-out ... I was like Oh she has another single friend that's adopting ... haha ... and it turned out to be me!! :) Thanks for the link to the 'financial' info ... awesome stuff!