Friday, April 1, 2011

2011 Book Reports: Book Eleven: 50 Books in 2011

South of Broad
Pat Conroy


What [is this book about] A group of friends from Charleston, SC.

Why [did I chose to read it] A novel was much needed :)

When [did I start and finish it] March 18-March 31

Where [did I get it] The great book sharerer Kristin Haddix

Who [should read this book] One of the things Kristin said when she gave me this book was that she liked it because she was from the south and the book takes place in Charleston.  So maybe anyone from the south who loves stories of southern cities and southerners.

How [will my life change as a result] It will not.

[Final word] The story has five parts.  Two of them take place during the friends high school years- the dialogue that takes place between the high schoolers was very unrealistic, in that it was far too mature to be believable.  The narrator is perfectly sarcastic, very funny and has a great personality. 
You can read this if you don't have ten other books you are dying to read....if you have ten others, read those first.   

*My goal in 2011 is to read 50 books.  Pretty ambitions, I know. But I love to read and I am excited to take on the challenge.  Probably the biggest reason it is a challenge is because I plan to read intentionally.  What does that mean?
Well for me, reading more intentionally means three things:
1. less fiction.  I can read a good fiction book in a couple of days!
2. more non-fiction and books I can learn from. 
3. keeping this blog as my digital diary.
So here we go!  Let's see how many I can do and what I can learn and share with you!

P.S. Would LOVE any suggestions you have for books to read this year!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Scared- Tom Davis
Priceless- Tom Davis
Her Mother's Hope- Francine Rivers
Her Daughter's Dream- Francine Rivers
The Last Lecture- Randy Pausch
The Only Road North- Erik Mirandette
Shades of Blue- Karen Kingsbury