I forget things. I guess this is probably a problem for a lot of people, but it really bothers me. One of the things I often forget is whether or not I unplugged my curling iron/hair straightener. I leave the house and then suddenly remember that I might have forgotten to unplug the devise which if left turned on and unattended for hours could cause any of the following problems: ruining of said [expensive] devise, burned countertop, fire and destruction of my house which would include the death of my [most loved] dog. So maybe my problem isn't so much that I forget stuff, it's that I worry about stuff. Mostly unnecessarily. Because I have only ever forgotten to unplug one of these devises one time and nothing bad happened.
Anyway, I finally got sick of worrying about all this when we were staying at our friends [new and very nice] house, we left for several hours and 5 minutes from home I suddenly remembered that I might have forgotten to unplug my curling iron. I worried about destroying their house with a fire for most of the day and hardly had any fun at the Shatto Farm tour. Actually, I had a great time on the tour, but whenever there was a blank space in my mind, I went ahead and imagined if my friends would still be my friends if I had burned down their house....I didn't want to test it. True to form, we returned to their home and I first: smelled for heat/hot/burning substances and second: immediately ran downstairs to check and see if I had left it on. I hadn't. We talked about ways I could remember whether I turned unplugged it or not and I got an idea, which I immediately implemented at home.
Here it is:
First, I wrapped both of my [heated, fire hazard] hair tool cords with a rubber band. I have to remove the rubber band to plug it in.
When I plug it in, I immediately put the rubber band around my wrist.
When I unplug, I make sure to remove the rubber band and voila! Now when I get to wherever I am going and suddenly remember that I might have forgotten! I just check my wrist. No rubber band=devise has been unplugged and house is safe from destruction. Now, I am free to worry about other impossible scenarios all day. What a relief!



No comments:
Post a Comment