Monday, March 18, 2013

Together Two Months!!

It's hard to believe we've already been together two months! And it's equally hard to believe we've only been together two months!

At two months home:

  • Eloise finally loves Andy. She still generally choses me, but she is happy to see him, goes to him and enjoys her time with him. Amazing!
  • Vaughn loves school. He is learning so much and comes home daily with a report of what he learned.
  • We officially drive a mini-van (and I love it as I always knew I would).
    • As a side note, I only have a 50/50 chance of getting it in a parking spot correctly, but I am getting better. To show your love for me, you could refrain from any expression of annoyance the next time some mom can't park her van correctly and she's taking up two spots, one of which you would have liked to use. 
  • The kids enjoy our music selection and sing along to just about everything. (Recent Facebook update: "My kids and I are in the car signing along to Mumford and Sons and I suddenly realized I am raising the two whitest black kids you will ever meet.....")
  • We've taken our first road trip.
  • Vaughn had a play date.
  • Eloise went to school for the first time and she said it was "Tres Bien!" (very good!). When I say Eloise went to school, I mean she willingly left my side. I whined about it all day to her before hand saying, "you're really going to leave Mama all alone??" "Yes, Mama by herself, Eloise class".
    • I literally wandered around my house for 3 hours wondering what I should do with my time. What happened to the mile long list I complained about a week ago? 
  • We're learning what our marriage looks like with the happy disruption of parenthood. This has probably been the hardest part, but it's been good to work through it and know that no matter what this is forever!
  • The kids love swimming and playing on the playground (referred to as "swimbing" and "play").
  • Eloise uses new English words and phrases everyday and Vaughn's sentences generally contain at least 1-2 English words.  
  • We have a pretty solid routine but both of the kids do fine with interruptions and transitions as long as we communicate well. 
  • We had a babysitter come and watch the kids for a couple of hours for the first time this week! We've really been feeling the strain of everything and we knew we needed to figure out how we could get time alone, so I got a good baby-sitter recommended to me and we tried it out. Eloise didn't cry when I left (miracle of miracles). I spent two days explaining what would happen and how I would come back after a little while so I think the kids were prepared for what having a babysitter meant. They enjoyed their time with Ms. Rachel and are excited for when she comes back next week when Andy and I will have our first date post-children!
  • We had our first single-parenting experience when Andy went out of town for work this week. We survived- but probably because it was only two nights.
I don't want you to think it's a fairy tale over here, but I do want you to know that our transition has truly been GOOD! I know this could be a honeymoon stage for our family, but I am constantly amazed at how our kids are growing, developing, loving and changing and if this is the honeymoon, I am enjoying it for all it's worth. Let the hard times come if they must, but let them come later...hopefully, a lot later. :)  

No comments: