Yesterday, as my parents were packing up and leaving town, yet another snowstorm was pounding Denver. We ate breakfast quickly and were loading the car and the kids when I slipped down the icy steps. It hurt my backside and shoulder immediately, but honestly, all I thought about was the baby. I was shaken and scared that the fall could have hurt him. Hot tears of fear slid down my face. After seeing him so alive and beautiful I could not bear the thought that my careless steps could have injured him (or worse). The fall honestly wasn't that bad. I landed on my back and it was really a slip down a couple of steps and not a true fall. My momma assured me that the baby was fine, but I just couldn't shake the fear. I have always heard that a fall is the worst thing for a baby.
My mom reminded me of all the fluid and tissue protecting the baby that we had just seen two days ago, but I still had to Google, "fell downstairs pregnant" to see what others had to say. Google, being the wealth of information that it is directed me to numerous baby boards where mom after mom assured me that all would be fine. I even found this little gem to assure me that my little slip was nothing compared to what this
I've fallen down flights of stairs twice during my pregnancy, and fell down in the shower once, and got into two car accidents. my baby's perfectly healthy, they can take alot more than you think they can so try not to stress too much
posted 05/27/2010 by viperFCKNvalentine

7 out of 8 found this helpful
Still regardless of my mom's assurance and Google's infinite wisdom, I had to call the doctor. They, of course, said I needed to come in to be observed despite the fact that I wasn't bleeding, cramping or experiencing any other negative symptoms. I really didn't want to go, but as Andy said, the peace of mind would be worth the hassle. After two hours at the hospital, we were again assured that everything was fine with the baby. (I really wish I had just listened to viperFCKNvalentine in the first place. She obviously knew all would be well.)
What I realized later as I was sharing the story with someone is that there is not one part of my body I wouldn't have sacrificed to protect that baby. My arms, my legs, my face. I would have been bruised and broken to keep that baby safe. I wonder if this is a small picture of how God feels about us. As He sacrificed His only Son for us, He gave His own body to be broken so that we could live. While I know I can never comprehend this fully, I see a glimpse of His love for us and it humbles me.
We are thankful that the baby is fine and praising God for a chance to get to be this little miracles parents.
1 comment:
Tears in my eyes. I saw this a little different. My baby came into the house and I knew she was upset. Nothing could have kept me from comforting you at that time. I was glad to be there to comfort you. In my mind I could see Vaughn and Eloise looking into the dining room with fear in their eyes. What was wrong with their strong momma? Where I would fall on the stairs for you. You in turn would sacrifice yourself for him. Yes, parental love is amazing and it is not because we are capable of that love but because it is the Love Of God, as you stated so well.
Post a Comment