Thursday, April 25, 2013

Nesting: Our office

With the baby on the way, we need to make a few adjustments to our house in order to fit everyone and everything in. I made a little list of the things we need to do before the baby comes.


Oh, sorry, thats just the first page. Here is the complete list:


Our first project was to move our office from the 'spare' bedroom to...somewhere else. We talked about different ideas, but none of them really made sense/excited me. Until I had a dream we moved the office into the kitchen. It was like one of those miracle/vision dreams from the bible where I woke up and just knew that's what we were doing and I couldn't contain my excitement. Andy mentioned this idea early on and I quickly dismissed it for a 'terrible idea' for whatever reason seemed appropriate at the time.  However, that biblical-dream thing really sealed the deal for me. So as to not grieve the spirit, work began promptly, as in, when my parents got here.

Here is the office/soon-to-be-nursery before:


Here is the area where we moved the office to. It's a little nook right as you walk in the back door (our main door) and it quickly became the catch-all space/drive me nuts area. The shoes were the worst. Especially once there were 4 of us coming in and out. It was never controlled!

 During:

Here is my dad working hard with my hard-working husband. We mostly did this in a weekend with a few odds and ends still to be completed.

Now, here it is after! We LOVE how this turned out and we both find we can actually be a little more productive quickly with the area being a main area in our home. It can get cluttered quickly, but with the last few tweaks, I think we'll fix that. We're going to build a bench to the right of the desk over the shoe rack. Also, we'll eventually get some new window coverings for the kitchen and that will really help (aesthetically) and don't worry, it's all on the list!




New shoe/catch all area. This, in addition to the piece we added to our front porch has all but solved the shoe dilemma. 


Here is the front porch shoe solution (from Ikea, of course).





So there you have it. Baby prep/nesting/spring cleaning Volume 1. Oh and lest you think we are amazing, here is the nursery currently:



Won't the baby go great in here? We think we will have him sleep in one of the desk drawers and wrap him in the curtains on the futon.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I have a fantastic idea. Why don't you paint your door the same color as that accent wall. I love how the nursery is coming out.

Kate Sampson said...

Celina, I don't think you need to worry about the baby's room for awhile. He won't need much space until he is in middle school. So you have quite a bit of time before you need to de-clutter his room.