Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Suddenly --> First Grader!


Kindergarten didn't even last a week for our boy. On the first day of school I talked to his teacher, the ESL teachers and the principal about the confusion with V's birth certificate, his actual age and his intelligence and by the end of the week everyone was convinced that Vaughn needed to be in first grade. To say this was a relief for us is an understatement! I've heard all kinds of stories of school administrators insisting on going with the age listed on the birth certificate no matter what the facts are and the blessing of our schools flexibility is incredible!

As of the first day of 1/2 day Kindergarten, Vaughn began asking to stay all day. His reasoning was simple, "some kids stay for lunch and get to eat pizza". (He had heard the lunch options announced over the loudspeaker.) I told him we were working on it and hopefully could get him into all day school.  I wish you could have seen this kid when I told him we had been successful in our endeavors. The conversation went something like this:

me: Remember when we talked about going to school all day? Well I talked to your principal and we decided that you will be able to go to school all day.
v: (smile is beginning to form)
me: BUT.... you won't stay in Kindergarten because we talked about how you are not really 5 years old so on Monday you will start in a whole new class because you are too smart for the Kindergarten class
v: (loud, joyous laughter erupts)
me: (explains all the mundane of what else will change- i.e. stay at school all day UNTIL 4 PM!, won't celebrate his bday with his class on Monday, etc)
v: Mom, maybe this means I'm really 7 and not even 6!
v: Line of questioning something like this begins. Answer in your head what you think I might say and then move onto the next question.

  • mom, I'm too smart for Kindergarten and then I get to first grade and I'm too smart for first grade, whayagonnado? [whayagonnado is Vaughn's very most favorite question of all time]
  • mom, I'm too smart for second grade and I move to third grade, whayagonnado?
  • mom, I'm too smart for college and I leave college, whayagonnado?
  • mom, I'm too smart for my job, whayagonnado?

This is about where I cut him off with an explanation that a) maybe saying he was 'too smart' was not the best wording and b) you really shouldn't be 'too smart' for your job and you'll have to do all kinds of work in your life, but you shouldn't be 'above' any of it. 

It's weird how much life changed with this one adjustment. First of all, Vaughn is in school from 9 AM- 4 PM! FOUR PM! (And yes, Vaughn did mention when I told him this how nice it will be for me to rest during the day). Secondly, my little boy is now in elementary school. Thirdly, naps are a thing of the past for him- just.like.that. (The first day of school he was SO TIRED he wanted to go to bed at 6 PM.) Finally, I have all this time where it's just me and Eloise and sometimes grandma. It's so strange and quick but so, so good for Vaughn. He needed to be in first grade and we're so glad for cooperation and understanding! 

Finally, we did just celebrate Vaughn's birthday. Is he 6? 7? 14? We don't know, but he loves his new legos and he enjoyed the ice cream cake.


 


1 comment:

On the verge of a Disaster said...

Thanks for this, brightened my far too serious day. Love to my sweet nephew!!